Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 5 full days exploring Svalbard
- Transfer package includes first night in Oslo and flights to Svalbard
- Limited to only 3 departures a season
- Choice of two top class expedition vessels
- Kayaking (extra cost) & hiking
- Complimentary parka jacket
Day 1: Arrive in Oslo
Your Arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway's vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring at the airport hotel included in the transfer package.
Day 2: Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen
Along with your fellow travellers you will fly north to Longyearbyen and your Spitsbergen adventure truly begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. As you embark, you'll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside village.
Days 3-6: Exploring Spitsbergen
You'll sail around this magical island, constantly searching for polar bears and other natural wonders. Covering western Spitsbergen as well as outlying islands to the north, your expedition will afford ample opportunities to view immense glaciers, deep fjords, soaring mountains and unique flora and fauna.
Sailing north into Krossfjord, have your camera handy, ready to capture some of the best calving in Spitsbergen. Deep in the fjord, the highly active Lilliehook Glacier awaits. Listen in awe to the growling as big chunks break off into the icy waters below. A Zodiac excursion to nearby Ny London, an abandoned mining settlement, provides an ideal place for a guided walk.
Encounters with wildlife, such as the indigenous Svalbard reindeer, are possible here. After cruising overnight, wake up to the stunning sight of the magnificent Monaco Glacier, another prolific iceberg producer. As if that isn't thrilling enough, your Expedition Team will also be on the lookout for belguas and other marine mammals.
Possible landing sites include Texas Bar, Worsleyneset and the Andoyane Islands (where polar bears have been known to roam). At 80N, you'll reach a walrus sanctuary on the tiny, crescent-shaped Moffen Island. Watching large groups of these lumbering giants jockeying for space is an unforgettable experience, so be ready with your binoculars.
The abandoned settlement of Smeerenburg (which means "blubber town") was established by Dutch whalers nearly 400 years ago. Here, at one of Europe's most northerly outposts, you'll have time to explore ashore and learn about Spitsbergen's whaling history. Afterwards, cruising to Magdalenafjord rewards you panoramic vistas of snow-capped mountains and massive glaciers reflected in the crystal- clear waters.
During your last full day of your arctic adventure, the options are open. You may visit the Russian mining town of Barentsburg, home of the world's northernmost brewery, or Trygghamma, where you may have the chance to walk on a glacier.
Round out the day in Alkehornet, taking in the towering cliffs teeming with nesting seabirds, such as fulmars, guillemots and thick-billed murres. Encounters with reindeer might be possible here. Later, in the evening, swap stories with your shipmates and crew one last time, at the captain's dinner.
Day 7: Depart Longyearbyen
The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for the charter flight back to Oslo and your onward journey.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- A 4* vessel suitable for up to 128 guests
- A spacious ship with extensive public areas
- High 1A ice class
- Rounded stern & stabilisers means superior stability
- Optional kayaking available
- Complimentary jacket & loan of rubber boots
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability. See below for additional transfer package.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $4995
Please note that in addition to the cost of the cabin, there is a mandatory transfer package which includes the first night in Oslo as well as return flights between there and Longyearbyen, this is priced at US$895/€895/£700 per person.
Optional Adventure Activities:
Sea Kayaking - US$195 for a single outing or $695 per person for a full programme (limited places)
Hiking - complimentary
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, the single supplement in a twin cabin is 1.7 times the cost of a single berth. However, there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
At date of embarkation, the minimum age restriction of 8 years and a minimum height and weight requirement of 64lbs or 29kg and 48" or 1.2m must be met.
- Complimentary parka jacket
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional services before & after your voyage
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Optional adventure activities
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, beverages, communication, etc
- Waterproof trousers or any other gear not mentioned
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)