Why we like the Ortelius cruise ship
- A solid former research vessel with a superior ice strengthened hull and a wide beam means there are few places this ship can’t reach
- Benefiting from substantial recent investment, this vessel offers modern, functional 3* comfort without losing any of its former character
- A good choice of functional, well proportioned and airy ensuite cabins
- Large deck space provides an ideal platform for wildlife watching and means everyone has plenty of space
Watch our inspection of the Ortelius
Trips aboard Ortelius
Beginning deep inside the High Arctic and finishing in subarctic Iceland, we like this voyage for its diversity, sense of journey and extended time exploring East Greenland. Zodiac cruising amongst towering icebergs, glimpsing the Northern Light and tracking musk oxen…
- 14 Days
What our customers think
We had a great time in the Arctic on Ortelius. It was a real thrill going into the ice with the ship, something we haven’t done before. The expedition staff were really knowledgeable, kept us safe, and we enjoyed the zodiac outings, walks on the land and the lectures and talks.
Declan UK August 2017
Photos of Ortelius
- Passenger capacity: 120 passengers
- Ice class rating: UL1 (1A equivalent)
- Size: 91.25m long x 17.61m wide
- Refurbished: Poland, 1989
- Other key feature: Helipad for helicopter excursions
- All 6 cabins are on the top deck (5)
- Double bed with 2 windows
- Lounge area with flat screen TV, sofa-bed, mini-fridge, tea- and coffee-maker
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Both 518 & 520 cabins have a partially obstructed view. Cabin 521 has the bonus of 3 windows, all unobstructed
A variety of open-deck spaces create for countless wildlife spotting opportunities as you journey deep into the Arctic wilderness. Guests can also maximise their regional insight through engaging presentations in the lecture room, and spend chilled out evenings in the bar following full days of adventuring.
Onboard Communications & Facilities
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- WiFi: you can connect your personal device from anywhere on the ship
- Full Internet access: EUR7.50 /20mb; EUR 18 /50mb; EUR35 /100mb; EUR150 /500mb
- Telephone card: EUR25/ approx. 25 mins depending on destination you are calling.
- Ship-based email: EUR5 set up fee + EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 11-12 day trip; EUR25 for an 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip.
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate. You can check your personal emails using the onboard computers to connect to the Internet and also by connecting to WiFi to use your own device.
Other facilities include:
- Plugs: European 220V two-round-pinned sockets
- Towels, toiletries and hair dryers
- Laundry service (additional cost)