Why we like the Ortelius cruise ship
- A solid former research vessel with a superior ice strengthened hull and a wide beam means there are few places this ship can’t reach
- Benefiting from substantial recent investment, this vessel offers modern, functional 3* comfort without losing any of its former character
- A good choice of functional, well proportioned and airy ensuite cabins
- Large deck space provides an ideal platform for wildlife watching and means everyone has plenty of space
Trips aboard Ortelius
Beginning deep inside the High Arctic and finishing in subarctic Iceland, we like this voyage for its diversity, sense of journey and extended time exploring East Greenland. Zodiac cruising amongst towering icebergs, glimpsing the Northern Light and tracking musk oxen…
What our customers think
We had a great time in the Arctic on Ortelius. It was a real thrill going into the ice with the ship, something we haven’t done before. The expedition staff were really knowledgeable, kept us safe, and we enjoyed the zodiac outings, walks on the land and the lectures and talks.
Declan UK August 2017
Photos of Ortelius
- Passenger capacity: 120 passengers
- Ice class rating: UL1 (1A equivalent)
- Size: 91.25m long x 17.61m wide
- Refurbished: Poland, 1989
- Other key feature: Helipad for helicopter excursions
- All 6 cabins are on the top deck (5)
- Double bed with 2 windows
- Lounge area with flat screen TV, sofa-bed, mini-fridge, tea- and coffee-maker
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Both 518 & 520 cabins have a partially obstructed view. Cabin 521 has the bonus of 3 windows, all unobstructed
A variety of open-deck spaces create for countless wildlife spotting opportunities as you journey deep into the Arctic wilderness. Guests can also maximise their regional insight through engaging presentations in the lecture room, and spend chilled out evenings in the bar following full days of adventuring.
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Full Internet access*: EUR15/20mb, EUR30/50mb, EUR60/100mb
- Telephone card: EUR15/20 minutes
- Ship-based email: EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 10-12 day trip; EUR25 for a 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip;
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.
Aboard Plancius, you benefit from full Internet access, which is subject to satellite connection signal (expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can sometimes load for minutes).