5 Reasons to Visit The Arctic in May
- By late spring The Arctic is opening up and purple saxifrage can be seen starting to bloom
- Puffins, Brünichs and Common Guillemots and other migratory birds return to The Arctic to nest
- Expedition ships arrive in Spitsbergen for the summer via Iceland and Norway
- Warmer weather and more sunny days makes May a favourite time for dog sledding and snowmobiling
- Experience the spring ice floe edge with chances to see narwhals, polar bears and icebergs
Arctic Travel - May
Arctic Travel May 2018
Characterised by sunnier days, an explosion of wildlife activity and plenty of ice, May is a popular month to head north.
Arctic Travel May 2019
As the ice begins to break up, May marks the return of the first expedition ships, along with the return of whales and birds from their southerly winter migration.