Why we like the Plancius cruise ship
- Fully rebuilt from the hull upwards in 2009, The Plancius is fully customised for comfortable expeditionary travel in the Polar Regions
- Modern styling and good design lend this vessel a contemporary feel and plenty of space for everyone onboard
- One of the best 3* options available - she combines comfort and value for money, without compromising on the overall experience
- The Plancius’ diesel-electric propulsion system means she’s a very quiet vessel, making overnight sailing very comfortable
- A fantastic observation lounge overlooking the bows with panoramic windows, ideal for wildlife sightings and enjoying the passing scenery while staying warm
Watch our video tour of the M/V Plancius
Trips aboard Plancius
Kingdom of the Ice Bear
Let the midnight sun guide the way as you sail north to Phippsoya, just 540 miles from the geographical North Pole. En route you'll experience calving glaciers, teeming colonies of seabirds, walrus and whales, while keeping a sharp eye out…
- 8 or 9 Days
Scouting Svalbard’s ice floes for wildlife by zodiac and on foot, cruising the magnificent 14th of July glacier and reaching the world’s most northerly settlement at Ny Ålesund are just some of this 10-day voyage’s many highlights. There's also the…
- 10 Days
East Greenland Explorer: Icebergs & Northern Lights
Sailing in September, explore the massive fjords of East Greenland and their legendary icebergs, spot musk oxen and visit ancient and modern Inuit settlements, while late summer provides a great chance of spotting the Northern Lights. A choice of three…
- 8 Days
Icebergs & Auroras: East Greenland & Svalbard
Beginning deep inside the High Arctic and finishing in subarctic Iceland, we like this voyage for its diversity, sense of journey and extended time exploring East Greenland. Zodiac cruising amongst towering icebergs, glimpsing the Northern Light and tracking musk oxen…
- 14 Days
Photos of Plancius
- Passenger capacity: 114 passengers
- Ice class rating: Lloyds class 100A1, Ice Class 1D
- Size : 89m long x 14.5m wide
- Refurbished: 2009
- Other key feature: Observation Lounge and Lecture Room
- 5 cabins on Deck 6, 4 on Deck 5, 1 on Deck 4
- All Superior cabins have double beds
- Two windows and lounge area with sofa and mini-fridge
- All Superior cabins have a sofa bed and are capable of accommodating 3 people
- Superior cabins 601 & 602 have the added benefit of windows with dual aspect
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Superior cabin 502's double bed is pushed against one wall
- Both cabins are at the stern corners of Deck 4 and are slightly larger versions of the Twin Window cabin
- Windows facing to the rear and side
- Twin beds
- All 26 cabins are on Deck 4
- Twin beds with windows
Whilst on board you can look forward to presentations led by subject experts in the lecture room; combined with adventure ashore this lends to a hugely exploratory and educational trip.
Common spaces also include a spacious observation lounge and bar, enabling full appreciation of the Arctic wilderness and opportunities to connect with travellers from all over the world.
Onboard Communication & Facilities
If you wish to stay in touch in the Arctic, you can choose from the following options:
- WiFi: you can connect your personal device from anywhere on the ship
- Full Internet access: EUR7.50 /20mb; EUR 18 /50mb; EUR35 /100mb; EUR150 /500mb
- Telephone card: EUR25/ approx. 25 mins depending on destination you are calling.
- Ship-based email: EUR5 set up fee + EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 11-12 day trip; EUR25 for an 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip.
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate. You can check your personal emails using the onboard computers to connect to the Internet and also by connecting to WiFi to use your own device.
Other facilities include:
- Plugs: European 220V two-round-pinned sockets
- Towels, toiletries and hair dryers
- Laundry service (additional cost)
Ready to Book Your Arctic Adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.