Choosing the right Arctic ship for you
Swoop have over a decade of experience in polar cruises and can guide you towards the ship that’ll suit you best. Get started with our quick tips then give us a call for expert advice.
- Make a list of what matters most to you - Is it size of ship, passenger capacity, stability, comfort level or activities on offer?
- Medium sized ships (for 80 to 116 passengers) are popular and there’s a wide range to choose from. These don’t feel too big but have generous public areas and a decent choice of cabins.
- For stability, larger ships are a good bet as they perform better in rough seas.
- Smaller ships (for less than 100 people) offer a more intimate experience. It’s easier to get on and off and everyone can land at once.
- Comfort levels on all Arctic ships have improved over the last decade. Now you can have an adventure without the hardship. Selected cruises come with Nespresso machines, balcony suites, gourmet dining and even butler service.
- Several cruises offer adventure activities including diving, snorkelling, kayaking and photography. Let us know your interests and we’ll find the cruise that incorporates those activities.
Choosing the right Arctic cruise ship for you
Selecting the right vessel is key to a successful voyage. Consider the vessel's engine: is it quiet? Can you creep up on the wildlife and get that great polar bear shot? How about the hull’s strength and ship’s stability? All are important questions, and we are here to help answer them.
Its a simple equation for me: if you're on a decent ship with a highly experienced crew your chances of seeing wildlife increase significantly.
John Newby Polar Specialist
Choosing an Arctic Ship - what should I consider?
Arctic Ship Comparison
Currently under construction, Croatian-built ' Hondius ' is being custom-made for Polar exploration and will carry up to 176 guests. The addition of stabilisers and other state-of-the-art technology will make her a comfortable and safe option.
Fusing the latest developments in naval design and technology with the intimacy and exclusivity of travelling as part of a small group, the Greg Mortimer is set to redefine the future shape of Arctic expedition cruising. Launching in 2019.
Purpose built in Finland in 1993 for polar expedition, the Resolute is a safe, ice strengthened vessel which also delivers on comfort and space. This ship provides the perfect setting for an Arctic experience with spacious cabins and panoramic public areas, and an outstanding expedition staff.
Newly refurbished in 2018, the Polarfront is a luxurious small vessel, allowing guests to get closer to all the action, and experience a more intimate Arctic adventure.
We understand that with so many ships available, finding the right one can be daunting. With over a decade of experience and knowledge of these vessels, we can guide you towards the perfect ship.
How We Can Help You
We'll guide you throughout your Arctic journey - from making the right choices when booking, to packing the correct clothing and equipment - offering sound, impartial advice and support at every stage.
Find Your Perfect Expedition
We work with all the main Arctic small ship operators, offering 15 different vessels and over 40 Arctic voyages and land-based expeditions.
Help you decide when to take your trip of a lifetime
We can help you decide which month will suit you best and advise when to start planning ahead for the best choice of trips and voyages.
Arrange your pre and post-Arctic travel
We can help you book your flights, so you’re entire adventure is taken care of and runs seamlessly.