Swoop Tips on Choosing the Right Arctic Ship
Swoop have over a decade of experience in polar cruises and can guide you towards the ship that’ll suit you best. Get started with our quick tips then give us a call for expert advice.
- Make a list of what matters most to you - Is it size of ship, passenger capacity, stability, comfort level or activities on offer?
- Medium sized ships (for 80 to 116 passengers) are popular and there’s a wide range to choose from. These don’t feel too big but have generous public areas and a decent choice of cabins.
- For stability, larger ships are a good bet as they perform better in rough seas.
- Smaller ships (for less than 100 people) offer a more intimate experience. It’s easier to get on and off and everyone can land at once.
- Comfort levels on all Arctic ships have improved over the last decade. Now you can have an adventure without the hardship. Selected cruises come with Nespresso machines, balcony suites, gourmet dining and even butler service.
- Several cruises offer adventure activities including diving, snorkelling, kayaking and photography. Let us know your interests and we’ll find the cruise that incorporates those activities.
Selecting the right vessel in the Arctic is key to a successful voyage. Consider the vessels engine: is it quiet? Can you creep up on the wildlife and get that great polar bear shot? How about the hull’s strength and ship’s stability? All are important questions, and we are here to help answer them.
John Newby Polar Specialist
Choosing an Arctic Ship - what should I consider?
Arctic Ship Comparison
- Passenger capacity: 176 passengers
- Ice class rating: Polar Class 6 (equivalent 1A Super)
- Size: 108m long x 8m wide
- Launching: Summer 2019
- Other key features: Large Observation Lounge and Separate Lecture Room
- Passenger capacity: 146 passengers
- Ice class rating: Lloyds A1s
- Size: 122.8m long x 18.0m wide
- Built in: Finland, 1993
- Other key features: high staff to passenger ratio, fully equipped gym, sauna, spa and steam room.
We understand that with so many ships available, finding the right one can be daunting. With over a decade of experience and knowledge of these vessels, we can guide you towards the perfect ship.
How We Can Help You
We'll guide you throughout your Arctic journey - from making the right choices when booking, to packing the correct clothing and equipment - offering sound, impartial advice and support at every stage.
Find Your Perfect Expedition
We work with all the main Arctic small ship operators, offering 15 different vessels and over 40 Arctic voyages and land-based expeditions.
Help you decide when to take your trip of a lifetime
We can help you decide which month will suit you best and advise when to start planning ahead for the best choice of trips and voyages.
Arrange your pre and post-Arctic travel
We can help you book your flights, so you’re entire adventure is taken care of and runs seamlessly.