Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 9 full days exploring Svalbard
- We love the extra days & the symmetry of a circumnavigation
- Only 54 people aboard means speedy logistics and great cameraderie
- Kayaking, snorkelling & scuba diving (additional cost for each)
- Complimentary parka jacket + post trip voyage journal
Day 1: Longyearbyen
Enjoy a guided tour of Spitsbergen's colourful capital Longyearbyen. Late afternoon sees us warmly welcomed on board Polar Pioneer.
Days 2 to 3: Magdalenefjorden
Wake up to spectacular alpine peaks and glacier valleys of Spitsbergen's rugged west coast. In Magdalenefjorden, you will Zodiac cruise a safe distance from the aqua-blue ice cliffs of 14th July Glacier or Waggonway Glacier, and take long walks among summer flowers, alert for reindeer and Arctic fox. Thanks to the nutrient-rich Gulf Stream and relatively mild temperatures, Atlantic puffins and guillemots fill the cliffs. Look for bearded seals, with their precious curling whiskers. You may visit the remains of a 350-year old Dutch whaling settlement on Amsterdam Island and learn of an ill-fated ballooning attempt over the North Pole.
Days 4-6: Moffen Island
Rounding Spitsbergen's northwest coast, enter the Arctic Ocean and the world of pack ice. Ghostly beluga whales rise up in open leads and polar bears stalk ringed, bearded and harp seals. Offshore, walruses feed on clams or haul out on beaches, especially on Moffen Island, a walrus sanctuary. Visit trapper huts and stay alert for reindeer and Arctic fox. Delightful walks reveal delicious berries and some of the tundra's 164 exquisite flowering plants including purple saxifrage, yellow spider plants and Svalbard poppies. If ice conditions allow, attempt to cross latitude 80 degrees north before turning south to Woodfjorden.
Days 7-8: Hinlopen Strait
Attempt to pass through narrow Hinlopen Strait, a channel flanked by austere, cream-coloured slopes rich in fossils between Spitsbergen and ice-capped Nordaustlandet. This polar desert is a landscape eroded by severe frost. Even in summer, pack ice could bar our way, but there is much to strive for. Zodiac cruise beneath Alkefjellet, sheer basalt cliffs rising at more than 250 metres - literally buzzing with some 200,000 nests of Brunnich's guillemots. During shore excursions, you seek eider ducks, Arctic foxes and the elusive Svalbard ptarmigan. As you pass Barentsoya and Edgeoya islands, you cross polar bear migration routes.
Days 9-10: Hornsund and Bellsund Fjords
This is true expedition cruising. If ice conditions allow, round South Cape and sail north toward Hornsund and Bellsund, deep fjords home to stunning glaciers and wildlife. If ice bars the way, the itinerary will be adjusted, backtrack and delve deeper into the wonders of Spitsbergen's north and west coasts.
Day 11: Longyearbyen
A midnight cruise of glorious Isfjorden returns you to Longyearbyen and the end of the voyage.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- With only 54 guests, it's one of our smallest ships
- Speedy logistics = up to 3 landings a day
- Time saving flights on some departures
- High 1A ice class + active stabilisers
- Optional kayaking
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
I've known this ship for many years now and she remains a firm favourite with a loyal following.
Alex Mudd General Manager
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in GBP (£) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost £5200
Optional Adventure Activities
Sea Kayaking (GBP640) - basic abilities required, available on all departures
Scuba Diving (GBP 720 ) - cold water and drysuit diving experience mandatory- only on 17-Jul-2018, 15-Jul-2019, 25-Jul-2019, 22-Jun-2020 and 2-Jul-2020 departures
Arctic Snorkelling (GBP 570) - no experience required, only on 17-Jul-2018, 15-Jul-2019, 25-Jul-2019, 22-Jun-2020 and 2-Jul-2020 departures
Single Supplement & Child Policy
There is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin. For those who want their own cabin, the single supplement in a twin cabin is 1.7 times the cost of sharing with another passenger.
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to & from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional services before & after your voyage
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Optional adventure activities
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, beverages, etc
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)