Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 7 full days exploring Svalbard
- Transfer package includes first night in Oslo and flights to Svalbard
- June and July departures
- Kayaking (extra cost), hiking & snowshoeing
- Choice of vessels including a brand new purpose built polar expedition ship
- Complimentary parka jacket
Day 1: Arrive in Oslo, Norway
Your Arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norwayâs vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring at the airport hotel included in the transfer package.
Day 2: Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Norway
Along with your fellow travellers you will fly north to Longyearbyen, inside the Arctic circle and where you board your ship in. As you embark, you'll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside village.
Days 3-9: Exploring Spitsbergen
You'll cruise around this magical island on a constant search for wildlife. Your expedition will cover western Spitsbergen as well as stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar flora to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities and different weather and ice, so there is no fixed itinerary; however, we do have some favorite destinations, including the 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Alkefjellet and the Hinlopen Strait. The destinations visited will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen.
Polar bear viewing is almost guaranteed, with Hornsund being one of their preferred hunting areas, and the towering cliffs of Alkefjellet providing many free bird egg meals for both them and the arctic fox.
Poolepynton is great for walrus viewing and photography. Coming across a walrus haul-out is a moment you won't forget. These lumbering giants of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you're itching for a more personal and intimate view of the arctic scenery, then taking an optional kayaking excursion to some of the more isolated pockets of Spitsbergen is highly recommended. Smeerenburg is a great place for an optional snowshoeing excursion, if conditions permit.
You can visit a memorial erected in 1906: this historical site honors the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme arctic conditions.
There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen. The tundra can be surprisingly colourful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day, you'll see something new, whether it is a rare bird species, a polar bear on the hunt, or a century-old abandoned hut.
Day 10: Depart Longyearbyen
The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for the charter flight back to Oslo.
PLEASE NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only. Each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
What our customers think of Into the Polar Bear’s Realm
Just amazing in every aspect, the comfort of the ship, expedition team, the meals, the landscape, wildlife, out of our planet !
Travelled: May 2022
Mei Mei Mai - USA
The expedition team were fantastic, extremely helpful.
Travelled: May 2022
Shari Murphy - Australia
About The Ship
- A 4* vessel suitable for up to 128 guests
- A spacious ship with extensive public areas
- High 1A ice class
- Rounded stern & stabilisers means superior stability
- Optional kayaking available
- Complimentary jacket & loan of rubber boots
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability. See below for additional transfer package.
|Triple||Twin Porthole||Twin Window||Superior Twin||Deluxe||Premium Suite||Single||Owner's Suite||Grand Suite|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $6995
Please note that in addition to the cost of the cabin there is a mandatory transfer package costing USD$995.
The package includes:
- One night’s pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel, with breakfast
- Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen
- Arrival and departure transfers in Longyearbyen
- Charter flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo
Optional Adventure Activities:
Sea Kayaking - US$195 for a single outing or $695 per person for a full programme (limited places)
Hiking - complimentary
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, the single supplement in a twin cabin is 1.7 times the cost of a single berth. However, there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
At date of embarkation, the minimum age restriction of 8 years and a minimum height and weight requirement of 64 lbs or 29kg and 48" or 1.2m must be met.
- Complimentary parka jacket
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional services before and after your voyage
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Optional adventure activities
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, beverages, communication, etc
- Waterproof trousers or any other gear not mentioned
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)