Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 9 full days exploring Svalbard
- Departures from June through to September allows for a great choice of lighting
- Choice of three ships - two for 12 guests and one for 53
- Special guest guides on selected departures
- All expeditions are 100% climate-compensated
Day 1: Longyearbyen, Svalbard
Arrive in Longyearbyen and embark your expedition ship in the afternoon. Journey through the spectacular Isfjorden as you sail deep out to sea.
Days 2-10: Expedition
Travelling in a part of the world where you are totally dependent on the ice and weather conditions, the exact itinerary depends on these factors and on the wildlife encountered. The ambition is to make landings or cruises every day with the zodiacs. Examples of places you may visit include:
Northwest Spitsbergen: The scientific village of Ny-Ã lesund is situated in Kongsfjorden. It was from here that Amundsen and Nobile started their heroic expeditions to the North Pole. Two other courageous attempts to reach the North Pole started on the island of DanskÃ¸ya. Swedish explorer AndrÃ©e made an attempt with a hydrogen balloon and American journalist Wellman started with an airship. There are still interesting remnants from these expeditions left on this site.
Magnificent fjords: Svalbard is home to countless spectacular fjords, some of which you'll be able to see during the journey. Liefdefjorden, meaning âthe fjord of loveâ, is lined with snow-covered mountain peaks and many common eiders and pinkfooted geese nest in the area. If weather allows you will be able to cruise along the face of the spectacular Monaco Glacier. Revel in the beautifully sculptured front of the 14 July Glacier in Krossfjorden, while greeted by a large number of kittiwakes and BrÃ¼nnichâs guillemots nesting on the nearby cliffs. The bird cliffs in Raudfjorden are bursting with activity, also a favourite spot for seals and an area of immense natural beauty, dominated by beautiful glaciers.
Hinlopen Strait and Alkefjellet: If the ice allows you'll journey into the Hinlopen Strait and discover Alkefjellet, an impressive, basaltic cliff, where an estimated 200,000 BrÃ¼nnichâs guillemots live. You may also continue into the beautiful bay Palanderbukta on Nordaustlandet, again dependent on conditions.
Eastern Svalbard: The island of Nordaustlandet is covered by an enormous ice cap and fascinates naturalists as well as historians. There are huge glacier fronts here, intersected by hundreds of waterfalls.
BarentsÃ¸ya and EdgeÃ¸ya: Both offer magnificent landscapes and vast tundra. You'll have good chances of encountering walruses, Arctic fox and Svalbard reindeer here.
Southwest Spitsbergen: The grand fjords of Hornsund host spectacular glaciers and a breathtaking landscape of towering mountain peaks, often reaching above the clouds. On a clear day you can see the summit of the highest mountain Hornsundtind, measuring 1,431 meters. Hornsund is also a favourite haunt for some of Svalbardâs polar bears, and bearded seals are often seen resting on the fjord ice.
Day 11: Longyearbyen
Early morning disembark the expedition ship and begin your journey back home/onwards.
Please note: The exact route will depend on ice, weather conditions and wildlife. Please remember that flexibility is the key to a successful expedition!
About The Ship
- Carries a maximum of just 53 passengers, offering an exclusive experience
- With epic 300 degree views from the Panoramic lounge, you can stay warm while never missing the action
- A high ice class rating means it is perfect for bear sightings in the pack ice
- Travel with expedition staff who know this region better than most
- Good choice of comfortable and well proportioned cabin categories
Experience The Trip: Svalbard Explorer
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $8290
Single Supplement And Child Policy
Single Supplement: For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, the single supplement in a twin cabin is 1.7 times the cost of a single berth. However, there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
Child Policy: At date of embarkation, the minimum age restriction of 8 years and a minimum height and weight requirement of 64 lbs or 29kg and 48” or 1.2 metres must be met.
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All excursions and activities by zodiac
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Optional adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival and departure taxes
- Personal travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature (e.g. laundry, beverages)
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gifts, drinks)