Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 12 full days exploring - Scotland (4), Norway (4), Spitsbergen (4)
- A rare voyage combination of Scotland, Norway & Spitsbergen
- This small expedition ship can access areas larger ships simply can’t get to
- Kayaking (additonal cost)
- Only one departure per season
- Complimentary parka jacket + post trip journal
Day 1: Aberdeen, Scotland
Board the ship in Aberdeen, Scotland, before you begin sailing northwards.
Days 2-3: Orkney Archipelago
Among Orkney's archipelago of 70 windswept islands, a treasure trove of archaeology, history and wildlife awaits. Follow the passage of time - from 5000-year-old, World Heritage-listed, Neolithic sites to Viking relics, from reminders of World War II occupation to present-day crofting communities. Imposing sea cliffs teem with seabirds, inviting the Zodiacs and kayakers to explore coastlines. At Fair Isle, visit traditional crofts to admire local knitwear and nearby colonies of fulmars, kittiwakes, guillemots, gannets, shags and puffins.
Day 4: Shetland Isles
Warmed by Gulf Stream currents and near 24-hours' daylight, the Shetland's 100 islands are peppered with nature reserves and archaeological sites. These include the complex Stone, Bronze and Iron Age settlement of Jarlshof, the world's best preserved broch (fortified Iron Age tower) on Mousa, and remnants of Viking conquest along the coast.
Day 5: North Sea
As you sail towards Norway, the historian and naturalist delight you with fascinating talks and inspire our birdwatching.
Days 6-9: Norway
An intricate maze of islands protects Norway's coastline. Celebrate crossing the Arctic Circle and visit special places, like Sor Gjaeslingan, once home to a busy cod-fishing fleet. Today it provides fantastic birdlife, including kittiwakes, terns and skuas that migrate here each summer. Continuing north, pass by Torghatten, a mountain with a distinctive hole through it, and learn the fable of lost love and a troll's arrow. Majestic scenery delights in Lofoten Islands, from romantic beaches to narrow fjords hemmed by granite walls. Share the water with orcas, the skies with puffins.
Days 10-13: Bear Island
Cross the Barents Sea, past often fog-shrouded Bear Island, favourite nesting ground for fulmars, kittiwakes, guillemots and gulls. Beyond Spitsbergen's South Cape, explore South Spitsbergen National Park, a sanctuary for barnacle geese and eider ducks, before entering the iceberg-laden waters of Hornsund. Surrounded by polar desert on a grand scale, search for reindeer, ringed and bearded seals and the mighty polar bear. Learn of human history dating back 400 years and if lucky, you'll encounter the elusive beluga whale.
Day 14: Spitsbergen
Disembark in Longyearbyen, bid goodbye to expedition staff and before exploring Spitsbergen.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only, as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- With only 54 guests, it's one of our smallest ships
- Speedy logistics = up to 3 landings a day
- Time saving flights on some departures
- High 1A ice class + active stabilisers
- Optional kayaking
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
I've known this ship for many years now and she remains a firm favourite with a loyal following.
Alex Mudd Polar Specialist
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in AUD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $13300
Kayaking (AUS $1520) - 7-Jul-2021 departure
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to & from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional services before & after your voyage
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Optional adventure activities
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, beverages, etc
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)