Why we like the Polar Pioneer cruise ship
- A true expedition vessel capable of accessing places larger ships simply can’t get to
- Only 54 passengers makes it feel almost like chartering your own ship
- A plucky little ship with a great atmosphere with a loyal fan base
- Her functional lines and simple cabins evoke her origins as a research vessel
- Renowned for her outstanding expeditionary staff and a very intimate overall experience
- One of very few ships to offer scuba diving in Arctic waters, as well as kayaking
Trips aboard Polar Pioneer
This voyage maximises wildlife sightings with the chance to circumnavigate Svalbard. Search for walrus, arctic fox, whales and of course the ‘King of The Arctic’, alongside visiting abandoned trapping stations and experiencing glaciers up close. Only 54 people onboard allows…
For the ultimate Arctic experience this unparalleled 24-day voyage is hard to beat. Created by splicing together two popular voyages, it delivers extended time circumnavigating Svalbard while maximising wildlife sightings, with exploration of East Greenland’s deep fjords and towering…
Beginning in Svalbard before arcing westwards across the Greenland Sea and then down East Greenland’s long coastline to finish in Iceland, this is an audacious Arctic journey of startling diversity and contrast. Spectacular landscapes, towering glaciers and once-in-a-lifetime wildlife encounters…
Photos of Polar Pioneer
- Passenger capacity: 54 passengers
- Ice class rating: KM*ULA2
- Size :71.6m long x 12.82m wide
- Built in /Refurbished in : Refurbished in 2000
- Other key feature: Arctic Scuba Diving is offered.
*Note that the above measurements are approximate averages and exact cabin size can vary
The Polar Pioneer's 29 cabins are all outward facing, meaning passengers can all enjoy ocean views of The Arctic's ice-choked waters. Cabins are comfortable and reasonably spacious with wood boarding. All cabins contain a writing desk and hairdryer.
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Telephone: $30/5mins or $150/45mins (satellite phone card)
- Email service: $5 initial set-up fee and an approximate $3/min of sending/receiving emails. 5, 10, 40 minutes packages are available for purchase
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.