Why we like the Akademik Vavilov cruise ship
- The most stable vessel of her class sailing Arctic waters, as well as highly manoeuvrable with a high ice class ranking to boot
- Renowned for her quietness through the water makes her more comfortable, particularly during overnight sailings
- Built for purpose as a Russian research vessel, in spite of recent modifications she retains her expeditionary spirit
- Guests will appreciate this ship’s high staff to passenger ratio and small groups
- Few Arctic ships can boast such a wide list of complimentary activities and add-ons
Watch our Video Tour of the Akademik Vavilov
Trips aboard Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Photos of the Akademik Vavilov
Sitting in a hot tub on the upper deck as the icebergs slide by is absolutely amazing!
John Newby Polar Specialist
- Passenger capacity: 92 passengers
- Ice class rating: Lloyds Register 1A, Canadian Type B
- Size: 117m long x 18.2m wide
- Built in: Finland, 1988
- Other key feature: Top Deck for 360 degree views, Spa and Fitness Room
- Located on Deck 5 with double bed, bathtub and opening windows overlooking the bow
- Separate lounge area with sofa-bed, mini-bar and mini-fridge, and tablet with polar literature and various media
- Up-graded bed linen, tea- and coffee-maker and arrival gift basket with wine and healthy snacks
For those feeling inspired by the cold Arctic waters, the Academic Vavilov boasts its very own plunge pool for guests. Embrace the chill then dash to the Jacuzzi or sauna, or take time out in the fitness or massage rooms.
Share stories with other travellers in the lounge and bar, whereby you can also watch films and documentaries. Other common areas include the library and presentation room, and with an on-board gift shop, there's no need to venture far for those perfect token gifts to take home.
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Telephone: $30/60minutes (satellite phone card)
- Email service: one-time $30 set-up fee. Email can be accessed through wifi using your own device.
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.
What our customers think
I would not hesitate to travel on this ship again. It was a lot more comfortable than I had expected - all crew were helpful and pleasant. Our room was much larger than I expected. The food was fabulous - the bread was the best bread I have ever had, and the desserts were killer!
Leslie & Nancy Steenbeke (Grossman) United States Of America June 2018
Our trip was highlighted by a half-day observation of lone young female polar bear and a haul-out of a herd/huddle of bearded walrus.
Rob & Bonnie Lesnick United States Of America June 2018
Northwest Passage Cruises
Long sought by early adventurers as a sea route linking the Northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, this labyrinthine waterway through Canada’s Arctic archipelago is no stranger to…
North of the Arctic Circle and halfway between Norway and the North Pole, Svalbard’s dramatic coastline and fjords are largely ice-free during high summer providing incredible …
Greenland assaults your senses with pure air, crystal waters, blue ice, staggering fjords, a fascinating past and a welcoming present. Whether you are whale watching in Disko …
Russian Arctic Cruises
The Russian Arctic is wild, rugged, rarely visited, totally isolated, desolate and utterly stunning. That isolation has lead to flourishing wildlife and pristine landscapes that …