Why we like the Akademik Vavilov cruise ship
- The most stable vessel of her class sailing Arctic waters, as well as highly manoeuvrable with a high ice class ranking to boot
- Renowned for her quietness through the water makes her more comfortable, particularly during overnight sailings
- Built for purpose as a Russian research vessel, in spite of recent modifications she retains her expeditionary spirit
- Guests will appreciate this ship’s high staff to passenger ratio and small groups
- Few Arctic ships can boast such a wide list of complimentary activities and add-ons
Watch our Video Tour of the Akademik Vavilov
Trips aboard Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Traversing the heart of the Northwest Passage this compact trip focuses on the region’s fascinating history and wildlife. Planned visits to numerous locations linked to the Franklin expedition, narrated by onboard historians, combine with renowned wildlife hotspots such as Lancaster…
Photos of the Akademik Vavilov
Sitting in a hot tub on the upper deck as the icebergs slide by is absolutely amazing!
John Newby Polar Specialist
- Passenger capacity: 92 passengers
- Ice class rating: Lloyds Register 1A, Canadian Type B
- Size: 117m long x 18.2m wide
- Built in: Finland, 1988
- Other key feature: Top Deck for 360 degree views, Spa and Fitness Room
- Located on Deck 5 with double bed, bathtub and opening windows overlooking the bow
- Separate lounge area with sofa-bed, mini-bar and mini-fridge, and tablet with polar literature and various media
- Up-graded bed linen, tea- and coffee-maker and arrival gift basket with wine and healthy snacks
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Telephone: $30/60minutes (satellite phone card)
- Email service: one-time $30 set-up fee. Email can be accessed through wifi using your own device.
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.