Why we like the Akademik Ioffe cruise ship
- Built originally for Russian hydrographic research, The Ioffe’s outstanding strength and stability contributes to a more comfortable voyage
- The highest 1A ice class rating with outstanding manoeuvrability from both bow and stern thrusters, and a captain who has been sailing this vessel for over 20 years
- This is a large ship compared with other Arctic ships, ensuring everyone onboard has plenty of space, particularly during wildlife sightings
- The sauna and hot tub are popular hang-outs after landings
- A full time Photographer-in-residence offering complimentary workshops and 1-2-1 tips and guidance. There’s also a multi-media room with dedicated PCs & Macs
Trips aboard Akademik Ioffe
Traversing the heart of the Northwest Passage this compact trip focuses on the region’s fascinating history and wildlife. Planned visits to numerous locations linked to the Franklin expedition, narrated by onboard historians, combine with renowned wildlife hotspots such as Lancaster…
Photos of the Akademik Ioffe
- Passenger capacity: 96 passengers
- Ice class rating: Lloyds Register 1A, Canadian Type B
- Size: 117m long x 18.2m wide
- Built in: Finland, 1989
- Other key feature: Top Deck for 360 degree views, Spa and Fitness Room
- Located on Deck 5 with double bed, bathtub and opening windows overlooking the bow
- Separate lounge area with sofa-bed, mini-bar and mini-fridge, and tablet with polar literature and various media
- Up-graded bed linen, tea- and coffee-maker and arrival gift basket with wine and healthy snacks
For those feeling inspired by the cold Arctic waters, the Academic Vavilov boasts its very own plunge pool for guests. Embrace the chill then dash to the Jacuzzi or sauna, or take time out in the fitness or massage rooms.
Share stories with other travellers in the lounge and bar, whereby you can also watch films and documentaries. Other common areas include the library and presentation room, and with an on-board gift shop, there's no need to venture far for those perfect token gifts to take home.
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Telephone: $30/60minutes (satellite phone card)
- Email service: one-time $30 set-up fee. Email can be accessed through wifi using your own device.
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.
Northwest Passage Cruises
Long sought by early adventurers as a sea route linking the Northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, this labyrinthine waterway through Canada’s Arctic archipelago is no stranger to…
North of the Arctic Circle and halfway between Norway and the North Pole, Svalbard’s dramatic coastline and fjords are largely ice-free during high summer providing incredible …
Russian Arctic Cruises
The Russian Arctic is wild, rugged, rarely visited, totally isolated, desolate and utterly stunning. That isolation has lead to flourishing wildlife and pristine landscapes that …
Greenland assaults your senses with pure air, crystal waters, blue ice, staggering fjords, a fascinating past and a welcoming present. Whether you are whale watching in Disko …