Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 7 days in length
- Maximum group size of 16 people
- Only 5 departures per season, early booking is strongly recommended
- Bear viewing from specially designed vehicles with outdoor observation platform
- Helicopter tour to a denning region
- Meet with First Nations peoples of Hudson Bay to learn about the local customs, history and go dog sledding
- Exclusive charter between Winnipeg & Churchill with no check-in queues maximises time in Churchill
- Hotel accommodation with full board
- Loan of cold-weather gear and boots during your trip
- Carbon impact of all departures is offset
Day 1: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Your polar bear trip begins in Winnipeg, once a fur-trading post and boomtown for the Canadian Pacific Railway, today Manitoba's cultural and commercial capital at the eastern edge of Canada's vast prairies. Transfer to the historic Fort Garry Hotel, grande dame of Winnipeg hospitality and one of the city's most prestigious landmarks. Meet your Expedition Leader at an orientation dinner this evening.
Day 2: Winnipeg / Churchill / Night Tundra Excursion
Fly to Churchill via the private chartered plane and explore this remote small community on a guided tour with the Expedition Leader. Originally a fur-trading post, Churchill is home to just under a thousand people and, in late fall, to hundreds of polar bears that congregate at the edge of Hudson Bay. You head to the tundra this evening for your first glimpse of the bears. Dinner is served aboard the enclosed Polar Rover in heated comfort.
Day 3: Helicopter Tour / Dog Sledding / Northern Culture
An exciting adventure is in store as you soar over the tundra in helicopters, surveying the frozen landscape below. From the air you may see polar bears, caribou and arctic fox. Landing on the tundra, disembark to explore on foot, perhaps even crawling inside an unoccupied polar bear den.
You also sample an age-old means of Arctic transportation on a dog sledding excursion. Learn about the life of a musher, visit with the dogs, observe the team as they prepare for the run, then head out for an unforgettable ride behind an eager team of pure canine power!
The immersion in Northern culture continues as Native hosts tell you about their traditions and what their daily lives are like. These captivating storytellers share tales from their personal histories and offer insight into the vibrant nations that have flourished amid adversity in this harsh environment for thousands of years. You'll also visit Churchill's Eskimo Museum, with artefacts collected from centuries of local habitation.
Day 4: Polar Bear Viewing
The unique Polar Rovers are your mobile means for a full day on the tundra among the polar bears. Although these custom-designed vehicles accommodate up to 35 passengers, there will be a maximum of 16, ensuring everyone a window seat. The Expedition Leaders know the best places to see bears, which are waiting for the ice to solidify on Hudson Bay in order to begin the winter seal-hunting season. As you watch the bears interact, you'll delighted by their antics and rugged beauty. You'll have dinner back in town, and enjoy a presentation on wildlife or cultural aspects of life in the North.
Day 5: Polar Bear Viewing / Aurora Domes
Once again you board the exclusive Polar Rovers for a full-day excursion to explore the subarctic scenery and watch wildlife. The pace is leisurely as you move over the tundra, pausing whenever you see bears to observe their behavior and capture photos. Tonight, if skies are clear, you'll visit a heated aurora dome in hopes of witnessing the northern lights. The phenomenon often begins slowly as a faint white glow, then intensifies in scope and colour as the lights undulate across the sky, shimmering curtains of electric green, waves of blue or even red. The Hudson Bay Inuit see the lights as the magical display of their ancestors' souls dancing in the sky. Though we now know the Aurora Borealis is caused by the interaction of the solar wind with the earth's magnetic field, they are no less entrancing.
Day 6: Churchill / Winnipeg
After time to pick up some last-minute Native crafts and souvenirs in town, enjoy a farewell lunch in Churchill. You then fly back to Winnipeg, where you have a final dinner before the adventure concludes.
Day 7: Winnipeg / Depart
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for departing flights.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability. Please note that there is an additional charge for charter flights between Churchill and Winnipeg.
|Start date||Price (pp)|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $8,695
Charter flights between Winnipeg and Churchill are an additional cost of USD $795/$895 (2019/2020) per person.
Please note that departure dates for 2020 will not be finalised until January 2020. To secure your place(s) we strongly recommend that you book ahead now, but that no concrete pre- and post- arrangements involving flights, hotels or other adjacent plans are booked until exact dates are confirmed.
- The physical requirements for this trip are very easy and there is little walking required, although travellers must be able to walk up/ down short flights of stairs to get on and off the Polar Rover.
- Travellers must be prepared for below-freezing temperatures and slippery surfaces.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
Single supplement – the price of single occupancy is an additional USD $995 (2019/2020) per person.
- Hotel accommodation, as per the program
- All meals
- Loan of cold-weather gear and boots
- Guided by Expedition Leaders & assistants
- All activities & entrance fees
- Evening presentations
- All taxes & service charges
- Some gratuities
- Charter flights Winnipeg/ Churchill return
- Air travel to and from Winnipeg
- Any trip pre or post extensions
- Alcoholic beverages
- Items of a personal nature (laundry, beverages, etc.)
- Some gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses