Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 6-7 days in length
- Wide choice of departures mid Oct - 20th Nov only
- Bear viewing from specially designed vehicles with outdoor observation platform
- Convenient charter flights Winnipeg/ Churchill return + hotel accommodation on full board
- Loan of cold-weather gear and boots during your trip
Day 1: Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Churchill polar bear tour begins in Winnipeg. Once a fur-trading post and boomtown for the Canadian Pacific Railway, today Manitoba's capital is its cultural and commercial centre at the eastern edge of Canada's vast prairies.
Transfer to the historic Fort Garry Hotel, grande dame of Winnipeg hospitality and one of the city's most prestigious landmarks. Meet your Expedition Leader at a welcome dinner and orientation this evening.
Day 2: Winnipeg/Churchill
Fly by chartered plane to Churchill this morning. This hospitable frontier town, originally a Hudson Bay Company fur-trading post, is your base for adventure.
- On the 6-day trip you head to the tundra this evening for your first glimpse of the bears, though you may see them from the bus as you leave the airport, even before boarding the Polar Rover.
- The 7-day trip opens with an evening presentation on polar bears and the northern environs by the professional staff of naturalists and scientists.
Days 3 - 4: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Uniquely designed Polar Rovers are your mobile means for spending time among the bears. Though they are built to accommodate up to 35 passengers, there will be a maximum of just 16, ensuring everyone a window seat. The Expedition Leaders know the best places to observe polar bears, which congregate in the region each fall as they wait for Hudson Bay to freeze, signalling the start of the winter seal-hunting season. As you watch them interact, you'll be delighted by their antics and rugged beauty. From the warmth of the vehicle, you may see mothers with cubs, young males play-fighting, or a lone bear ambling over the tundra in solitary majesty.
The knowledgeable Expedition Leader offers interpretation along the way, explaining the bears' behaviour and how they thrive in such a harsh environment. In the evenings, you'll meet for dinner and presentations on wildlife or local culture.
Day 5: Explore Churchill/Evening on the Tundra
On the 7-day trip you tour historic Churchill, then head out to the tundra for evening bear viewing and dinner aboard the vehicle. During the day you may explore the coast road en route to Cape Merry, where Arctic fox and Arctic hare are often seen. If the skies are clear, the nighttime tundra excursion might reveal one of nature's most exhilarating experiences, a chance to view the Northern Lights away from the glare of town. Though they are never predictable or promised, the auroral display often starts as a white glow in the northern sky, then begins to flicker and dance in shimmering curtains of colour.
On the 6-day trip (your nighttime tundra journey takes place on Day 2), there's free time in Churchill or an opportunity for an optional helicopter excursion over the vast expanse of frozen tundra before boarding your flight back to Winnipeg.
Day 6: Churchill/Winnipeg
The return flights are scheduled to depart in the mid- to late afternoon, to offer as much time as possible for exploring Churchill today. Pick up last-minute native-made handicrafts and souvenirs or, if time permits, take an optional helicopter tour over the tundra or an authentic dog sled excursion. Enjoy a farewell lunch in Churchill before flying back to Winnipeg, where you have a final reception before the adventure concludes
Day 7: Depart from Winnipeg
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for flights home.
What our customers think
On our first full day on the tundra we got very close to a mother and her two cubs, and on the second day we got very close to a big male bear. It was a wonderful trip and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. Thanks again for all your help!
JW Wyoming, USA October 2017
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
|Start date||Price (pp)|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $6,395
Departure dates are confirmed approx. 10 months in advance. This means that they could move by a few days in either direction. To secure your place(s) we strongly recommend that you book ahead now, but that no concrete pre- and post- arrangements involving flights, hotels or other adjacent plans are booked until we confirm the exact dates.
- The physical requirements for this trip are very easy and there is little walking required, although travellers must be able to walk up/ down short flights of stairs to get on and off the Polar Rover.
- Travellers must be prepared for below-freezing temperatures and slippery surfaces.
- Charter flights Winnipeg/ Churchill return
- Hotel accommodation, as per the program
- All meals
- Loan of cold-weather gear and boots
- Guided by Expedition Leaders & assistants
- All activities & entrance fees
- Evening presentations
- All taxes & service charges
- Some gratuities
- Air travel to and from Winnipeg
- Any trip pre or post extensions
- Alcoholic beverages
- Items of a personal nature (laundry, beverages, etc.)
- Some gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses