Why we like the Spirit of Enderby cruise ship
- One of the last few small expeditionary ships still operating in The Arctic
- A maximum of only 50 passengers makes the whole experience very special and allows for greater spontaneity
- Refurbished in 2012, the accommodation is homely, the luxury being the destination itself
- Built as a Russian ‘research vessel’ she’s proven time and again how capable she is in Polar waters
- Staffed by a highly experienced Russian crew who enjoy sharing their knowledge and practising their English, alongside a very capable international expeditionary staff
Trips aboard the Spirit of Enderby
For sheer remoteness and incredible wildlife encounters, this voyage is very hard to beat. Wrangel Island is not only a significant polar bear denning site, it also holds the world’s largest population of Pacific Walrus - but this is to…
- 16 Days
- Passenger capacity: 50 passengers
- Ice class rating: Russian register KM Ice Class
- Size: 71.6m long x 12.8m wide
- Built in: Finland, 1984
In spite of the focus on the exploration ashore to be had, the ship's comfortable common spaces provide ample on-board entertainment - from relaxed evenings with fellow travellers in the bar, to uncovering more about the region in the library and dedicated lecture room.
Onboard Communications & Facilities
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Email: You can set up a personal email address on board for $10, enabling you to send and receive emails using your laptop in the bar area. Each email you send and receive will be charged to your onboard account. You will only be able to receive plain text emails and will be unable to access your own personal email or the internet in general. Attachments are billed in whole megabits, one megabit is US$20.00.
- Phone: Calls received are free of charge (the ship does not accept reverse charge calls). Prepaid GoChat Cards are available to use on the ship's Iridium phone, different denominations are available to purchase.
Other facilities include:
- Plugs: European 220V two-round-pinned sockets
- Towels, toiletries and hair dryers
- Laundry service (additional cost)