Why we like the Noorderlicht
- A unique ‘hands-on’ Arctic sailing experience aboard a 2-masted schooner built in 1910
- Travelling with like-minded, adventurous travellers with a penchant for exploring remote regions
- With a maximum of only 20 fellow passengers, the strong on-board camaraderie is the main highlight for many
- Capable of sailing speeds of up to 10 knots, the Noorderlicht sails beautifully
- A shallow draft means she can get into places larger motorised ships can’t, making her ideal for exploring Svalbard’s smaller islands
- Wide choice of voyages almost year round, mainly in and around Svalbard
Trips aboard Noorderlicht
Truly escape the modern world and explore Svalbard onboard a schooner. Sail north through the melting spring ice, spot wildlife and learn about the archipelago’s rich history. Highlights include the Monaco Glacier, 17th century whaling settlements, close encounters with megafauna…
- 8 or 11 Days
Sail onboard a historic vessel inside the Arctic circle through beautiful channels and past spectacular islands. Watch for humpback whales as they search for squid and then relax on deck in the evening, waiting for clear skies and the Northern…
- 8 Days
Photos of Noorderlicht
- Passenger capacity: 20 Passengers
- Ice class rating: Reinforced bow
- Size : 46.0 m long x 6.5m wide
- Built in /Refurbished in : Netherlands, 1991
- Other key feature: 3 Masted Schooner
Onboard Communication & Facilities
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Satellite phone calls: EUR 2.50/min
- Ship-based email: EUR 2.50/min
This is for light data traffic only.
- Plugs: European 220V two-round-pinned sockets
- Bathrooms are shared between passengers
- There is no laundry service
Find Your Arctic Ship
Making the correct choice of ship is key. With firsthand experience of all of the ships we offer, let Swoop help guide you to exactly the right one.
Ready to Book Your Arctic Adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.
Our team of experts are ready to help you with any questions about a trip to the Arctic.