Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 9 full days exploring - Greenland (4) & Baffin Island (5)
- We like this itinerary for its balance of nature, wildlife, history and living culture
- Travelling aboard a comfortable, state-of-the-art ship 148 passenger ship
- Kayaking & photographic gear available for loan
- Complimentary bar and crew tip included
Days 1-2: Time in Reykjavik
Depart on an overnight flight to Keflavik and transfer to the hotel in Reykjavik. Take a guided overview of the old town, including Hallgromskirkja Cathedral. Or choose to explore the Blue Lagoon and soak in the geothermal waters.
Day 3: Embarkation
Fly by chartered aircraft to Greenland. Embark National Geographic Explorer.
Day 4: Greenland's West Coast & Sisimiut
Dozens of deep fjords carve into Greenland's west coast, many with glaciers fed by the ice cap that covers 80% of the country. Trace this ragged coastline, and search for humpback and minke whales. At Sisimiut, a former whaling port, visit the museum and wander amid a jumble of wooden 18th-century buildings.
Day 5: At Sea in Baffin Bay
A relaxing day at sea allows for time to hear talks from our staff about the fascinating history of polar exploration. Go up to the bridge to watch for whales. Head up to the library. Enjoy the sauna or have a rigorous workout in the fitness centre, with its 'million dollar views.' Or simply relax in the Observation Lounge.
Days 6-10: Exploring the Canadian High Arctic
Carved by ice age glaciers, Lancaster Sound is the eastern gateway to the Arctic Archipelago. European explorers like William Baffin first ventured here in the 15th century to search for the Northwest Passage. The sound has been a favourite Inuit hunting and fishing location for hundreds of years. Your days here will be spent searching for wildlife, such as: ringed seals, arctic foxes, walruses, and polar bears, as well as beluga and bowhead whales. You may even see the elusive narwhal, an Arctic whale known for the long, spiraling tooth that projects up to ten feet from its upper jaw.
Day 11: At sea in Baffin Bay
We make our way across Baffin Bay with a relaxing day at sea. Enjoy talks from our staff and look for wildlife from the Bridge.
Day 12: Disko Bay and Ilulissat
Sail into Disko Bay and set out to explore a tongue of the Greenland ice cap. Take an extraordinary cruise among towering icebergs of the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Ilulissat Icefjord. Visit the town of Ilulissat and take a hike to the archaeological site in the Sermermiut Valley.
Days 13: Exploring West Greenland
Our final day exploring will be spent in Greenland's beautiful, scenic fjords. Take a Zodiac cruise or kayak some of the picturesque waterways. Our undersea specialist may launch the ROV to see the marine life inhabiting the fjord floor.
Day 14-15: Kangerlussuaq and Reykjavik
Disembark in Kangerlussuaq and take a charter flight to Reykjavik and overnight in our fine hotel. The next day transfer to the airport in Keflavik for flights home.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- State-of-the-art vessel suitable for 148 guests
- Superior onboard safety features including Ice Radar
- 1A ice class bows + retractable stabilisers
- Onboard photographic gear for loan by guests
- Kayaking available.
- Free bar & crew tips
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
By cruising at an impressive 15 knots this ship delivers an extra 24 hours in The Arctic with the time saved.
Loli Figueroa Polar Specialist
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $16790
Single Supplement & Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, this ship has a good number of dedicated single cabins.
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Flights to & from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional services before & after your voyage
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Optional adventure activities
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, beverages, etc
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)