Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Weekly departures from 1st March to mid May
- Each snowmobile can carry 2 people - driver & passenger
- Starts & finishes in Longyearbyen, Svalbard
- 2 nights at Svalbard’s most northerly wilderness lodge
- Full thermal outer clothing is provided, including boots
Day 1: Arrival in Longyearbyen
Fly into Longyearbyen, Svalbard's capital - the most northerly airport in the world to receive regular scheduled flights. Time to explore this former mining town and get ready for the next day's adventure. Overnight accommodation in Longyearbyen isn't included in the trip price.
*Depending on flight timings, you may need to stay in Oslo the night before.
Day 2: Nordenskiold Glacier and Basecamp Hotel
Your snowmobile safari begins by meeting up at Basecamp Hotel at 10am where you will meet your guide, as well as other members of the party, and receive a briefing about winter clothing, snowmobiling and the program for the next few days. Based on current weather and snow conditions, the guide will pick the best route for the day. Mounting the snowmobiles, you will leave Longyearbyen behind and drive out through Svalbard's unspoiled nature. Along the way there will be plenty of opportunity for stops and photo opportunities, as well as a picnic lunch in the snow while seated on reindeer hides.
After a day of driving through valleys and over glaciers, you will arrive at your overnight stop - Nordenskiold Lodge, hidden amongst the glacial moraine and only a stone's throw away from the great Nordenskiold Glacier. This modern cabin located 100 miles from Longyearbyen has amazing views of the glacier from every window and provides all the comfort needed, while maintaining an Arctic style. There are 5 twin rooms able to accommodate a maximum of 10 people at a time, so it's a very cosy and intimate environment. Absolutely no internet! A tasty expedition dinner and warm sauna will top off your adventurous day.
Day 3: Visiting Pyramiden
After breakfast, start the snowmobiles and head out into Svalbard's beautiful scenery again for another day of Arctic exploration. If the weather and ice conditions are favourable, head out to the deserted Russian mining town of Pyramiden. The town was abandoned by The Russians in 1998. It's an amazing feeling to walk through the now deserted town, where rusted playgrounds and dusty pianos are still waiting for the residents to return. The Russians took nothing with them and almost everything lies as it was back then. Return to Nordenskiold Lodge at the end of another adventurous day, where they'll fire up the sauna and enjoy another delicious dinner.
Day 4: Return to Longyearbyen
After breakfast, it's time to say goodbye to Nordenskiold lodge and head back to civilisation. Your guide will choose the day's route depending on the weather and snow conditions, with a picnic lunch en route when you'll really get to appreciate the arctic silence. Arrive back to Longyearbyen late afternoon. Overnight accommodation in Longyearbyen isn't included in the trip price.
Day 5: Flight home from Longyearbyen
Return to the airport for your onward flight back home, unless you plan to stay for an extra night.
NOTE: Please be aware that this itinerary is for guidance only and that a flexible approach is required due to local weather and/ or ice conditions..
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 4 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
- Departures require a minimum of 4 people.
- Snowmobile drivers will need to bring their current driving licence with them
- Minimum age: 18 years old
- 3 day guided Snowmobiling trip
- 2 nights overnight accommodation on full board basis
- Snowmobile suit, boots, gloves, helmet, goggles & balaclava on loan
- Snowmobile and fuel
- Search and rescue insurance
- International flights to & from start/finish points
- Any additional services before & after your trip
- Transfers not specific to the itinerary
- Pre/ post snowmobiling accommodation in Longyearbyen
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, alcoholic beverages, etc
- CO2 investment of NOK 250
- Snowmobile insurance at NOK 175 per day
- Personal travel insurance
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes