On the surface we’re a travel agency specialising in adventurous trips to The Arctic, Antarctica and Patagonia. Dig deeper and you’ll find a diverse team of twenty-five people who are deeply knowledgeable and passionate about their destinations, working with individual autonomy and shared purpose. Customers cite our three websites as the best guidebooks to their regions, and our trips and service second to none. Swoop is heading towards being not just the global number one for our destinations and a stand-out brand in the travel industry, but also the centre of gravity for a worldwide community of people with an enduring interest in the experiences that can be found at the ends of the earth.
Our Bristol team is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced Executive Assistant to support the office and the directors of the business, enabling the growth of Swoop.
Who are we?
Swoop Travel is a 30 person (and growing) travel company, specialising in trips to the ends of the earth; extraordinary destinations that provide our customers with incredible experiences and lifelong memories.
We don’t just work in the adventure travel industry, we live, sleep, eat and breathe all things travel and adventure. Our passion is what drives our success, and although there’s plenty of socials, destination trips and fun, we work hard and we love what we do. If you don’t dream of your next travel adventure or have regular weekend plans to be out in the fresh air and the wilderness then maybe we’re not quite the right fit for you.
What you’ll be doing
Every day in this role will be varied. One moment you’ll be working on a strategic website project with the directors, and the next coordinating a Skype meeting for the local and remote Swoop teams.
You’ll work closely with the Managing Director and Commercial Director, making their working lives easier, more organised and more efficient. You’ll support them with proactive diary management, travel arrangements and work with them on strategic projects.
Additionally, every ship needs a captain, and our office needs you at the helm. We operate across two Bristol locations, and we have a remote sales team, based in Argentina, New Zealand and North America. You’ll keep the office functions running smoothly, coordinate communications, facilitate socials and enable our team to do what they do best.
Who you’ll be
For this to work, you’re going to need to be a lover of organisation and a complete ‘all-rounder’, who thrives on pressure and loves the feeling of a productive day’s work. You'll be super organised and a great communicator with the ability to see when there is a more efficient way to do things.
You’ll need to have worked previously in an EA or PA capacity, ideally within an SME - so you’ll have first-hand experience and a love of working within a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
In return we can offer
A salary of up to £30K, dependent on your level of experience (plus company bonus), 25 days holiday per annum, opportunities to travel (alongside free travel insurance) oh and the best views in Bristol...seriously, we don’t call our offices ‘The Condors’ Nest’ for nothing.
How to apply
Please include your CV and a one-page covering letter with your application, answering the following three questions:
1. Why are you perfect for the role?
2. What was your most fulfilling week at work?
3. What was your most memorable outdoors experience?
Applications not containing this information will not be considered.
Respectfully, no recruitment agencies please.
Mid-Level Software Developer
On the surface, we’re an online travel agency specialising in adventurous trips to Antarctica, Patagonia and the Arctic. Dig deeper and you’ll find a tech-driven company with a diverse team of thirty people who are deeply knowledgeable and passionate about their destinations, working with individual autonomy and shared purpose. Swoop is heading towards being the global number one for our destinations and a stand-out brand in the travel industry, and has grown consistently year on year since the company was founded in 2010.
About Swoop Tech
Tech is the engine that drives every interaction at Swoop, with both internal and external customers. We have a bespoke CRM that does a good job of serving the needs of our sales, operations and marketing teams. This is combined with three websites (and CMS), and a bespoke customer review platform. The stack comprises:
- Some small utility/operations tools are bash scripts.
- MySQL is used as a database server, all running on Linux servers.
- The logical architecture is simple: two monolithic web applications, each connecting to a MySQL database.
- We use Git for version control and work using an agile workflow.
Going forward it is our intention to build a stack that integrates:
- Core CRM (including messaging platform and customer feedback); integrating third-party apps where sensible (e.g. Mailchimp, Typeform)
- New applications including mobile apps, to be developed and managed in-house
- As well as constantly improving the platform and optimising performance.
Mid-Level Software Developer Role
We are looking for a Mid-Level Software Developer to join our team on a permanent basis, reporting to Duncan Porter, our Lead Developer. At Swoop, we architect roles to individuals; your role will evolve over time and as opportunities are identified, but we expect:
- In the first 3-6 months:
Work with our internal design teams to iteratively build and enhance our customer communication channel within the customer-facing ‘Adventure Planner’. You will be involved in the architecture and implementation of the back and front end services, collaborating with the lead developer.
- At 6-12 months:
a. Be intimately involved in optimising and improving our web platforms as part of the wider team.
b. Take ownership of a larger project with assistance and input from the development team, for example, a planned major redesign of how trip itineraries are planned, documented and communicated to our customers. This would be a wide-reaching project requiring collaboration with all of our teams from conception to delivery.
- 12-18 months+
Be autonomously involved in the long-term strategy and maintenance of Swoop’s tooling, infrastructure and solutions, developing updated and improved versions of each of the Core applications.
Your main team will include:
- Duncan, Lead Developer with over 20 years experience
- Flo, Junior Developer
- James, CTO
- Charlie, Head of Analytics & Product Owner
- Fran, Head of UX & IA
- Harriet, Product Owner & Customer Experience
- Luke, Founder & MD
- Our external development agency
- Our external design agency
What is Swoop offering?
- Salary in the region of £30-40k, plus performance-based bonus
- 26 days of holiday, plus bank holidays
- A relaxed workspace for projects, and the best views in Bristol at our HQ
- Some flexibility re: hours and place of work if needed
- Significant input to the product development roadmap and influence over how solutions are engineered
- Coaching from day one, particularly around working with multi-disciplined teams and other stakeholders
- Spend 1-2 days per year participating in local Tech Conferences on behalf of the company
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic, enthusiastic and adventurous team
- The pride that will naturally come from building the engine that lies behind thousands of extraordinary experiences at the ends of the earth
- A ‘seat at the table’ when defining tech strategy
- Scope for profit share after 2 years
Our ideal candidate will:
- Share our passion for the life outdoors, adventure travel, and the possibilities offered at the ends of the earth
- Enjoy working independently but also want to be part of a mixed-discipline team
- Prefer to work in an agile environment
- Enjoy working with a great deal of autonomy
- Relish the opportunity to collaborate with design, UX, IA specialists, and internal customers
- Want to work in Bristol
Please send your CV, along with a one-page response to the below questions, to [email protected]
- What has been your most memorable outdoors experience?
- What has been the application/feature/product that you are most proud of developing and why?