Why We Like This Ship
- A solid former research vessel with a superior ice strengthened hull and a wide beam means there are few places this ship can’t reach
- Benefiting from substantial recent investment, this vessel offers modern, functional 3* comfort without losing any of its former character
- A good choice of functional, well proportioned and airy ensuite cabins
- Large deck space provides an ideal platform for wildlife watching and means everyone has plenty of space
Trips aboard Ortelius
Travelling under the midnight sun, explore Svalbard’s spectacular coast all the way north to Phippsoya, just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole. En route experience calving glaciers, teeming colonies of seabirds, walrus and whales, while keeping a sharp eye…
Scouting Svalbard’s ice floes for wildlife by zodiac and on foot, cruising the magnificent 14th of July glacier and reaching the world’s most northerly settlement at Ny Ålesund are just some of this 10-day voyage’s many highlights. Also includes the…
Beginning deep inside the High Arctic and finishing in subarctic Iceland, we like this voyage for its diversity, sense of journey and extended time exploring East Greenland. Zodiac cruising amongst towering icebergs, glimpsing the Northern Light and tracking musk oxen…
What our customers think
We had a great time in the Arctic on Ortelius. It was a real thrill going into the ice with the ship, something we haven’t done before. The expedition staff were really knowledgeable, kept us safe, and we enjoyed the zodiac outings, walks on the land and the lectures and talks.
Declan UK August 2017
Photos of Ortelius
- All 6 cabins are on the top deck (5)
- Double bed with 2 windows
- Lounge area with flat screen TV, sofa-bed, mini-fridge, tea- and coffee-maker
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Both 518 & 520 cabins have a partially obstructed view. Cabin 521 has the bonus of 3 windows, all unobstructed
If whilst in the Arctic you wish to stay in touch, there are a number of options to choose from:
- Full Internet access*: EUR15/20mb, EUR30/50mb, EUR60/100mb
- Telephone card: EUR15/20 minutes
- Ship-based email: EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 10-12 day trip; EUR25 for a 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip;
Due to the remoteness of the location, the options available are only suitable for light data traffic, meaning that internet access or the uploading of images is not possible. Email access, however, is still available.
Aboard Plancius, you benefit from full Internet access, which is subject to satellite connection signal (expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can sometimes load for minutes).